Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What Happens When a Series Runs Too Long

My local library comes in handy as my reading list grows. So does my stint as a book reviewer at Night Owl Romance (NOR). The trouble is I find more and more books and authors I would love to read. And, please don't get me started reading a series. I have a tendency, when I find a good series, to read every book in order even when there are 15 to 20 books in that series.

Actually, I tend to prefer to follow a good series. Debbie Macomber has two series that I have followed: the Cedar Cove series and the series about the yarn shop, A Good Yarn. Although Debbie has written several other series, I have so far avoided getting hooked on them.

Writing a series of stories with engaging characters and good plot lines is a smart move on the part of writers. Once someone gets hooked on a series, the writer has a ready made audience breathlessly awaiting the next novel. The longer the series can play out without getting stale, the better for the writer.

Unfortunately, too many times the author should have quit while they were ahead. I've recently read complaints from readers about series that are no longer up to the same standard as the earlier books. Alas, I read the reviews on Amazon.com - not the place an author wants to see their latest book trashed.

Therefore, dear author, if you are writing a series of books that become popular with readers, take care not to start writing later books by rote or rush them out because the publisher wants the next installment. Take care that you can keep the same or better quality going, or end the series and start another. Your readers will reward you by continuing to follow you - not publicly trashing your novel.

No comments: