Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Bright Light Gone - Tony Hillerman

One of my favorite authors is no longer with us. Tony Hillerman died Sunday at the age of 83. As a huge fan of Hillerman's, I have read, more than once, all of his Navajo Tribal Police mystery novels, own DVD's of three of the books, and have either purchased or checked out from the library, several other books of various topics.

Two table top books that Tony and his brother, a photographer, compiled of the Navaho lands were breathtaking in their colorful photographs and insightful comments.

I spent several weeks in 2006 driving all around Navajo country. I will never forget the experience, the thrill of seeing the actual locations I had previously only read about in his books, and the feeling that a higher power was involved in allowing me to spend time in that area. Of all the places I have ever been, the Four Corners area of the U.S. remains in my heart.

As someone said, no more books will come from this wonderful writer. Many readers anxiously awaited his next story, but we are all blessed for the many books we now have in our libraries. Books we can return to again and again.

Rest in peace, Tony Hillerman. You will be missed!

2 comments:

T. Forehand said...

A nice tribute to a great writer, may we all contribute something wonderful to be remembered by or words to encourage.

Warmly,
Terri
http://heartfeltwords4kids.blogspot.com
http://www.terriforehand.synthasite.com

Edie Dykeman said...

Someone said that the most difficult thing about a favorite author passing away is that means there will never be more writing from that author.

I loved Tony Hillermans novels, and I will miss the fact that there will be no more stories.