Thursday, January 15, 2009

Living a Double Life

Living a double life is never easy. Or do I have a split personality? Either way, sometimes my life gets rather confusing when I forget who I am and try to cross over. Let me explain.

My normal everyday life is lived as Edie Dykeman. Not the name I was born with, but have lived with since my marriage many eons ago. But, in my fiction writing life, I am known as Gail Monroe, also part of my birth name.

Earlier today, I received an email message letting me know someone had put in a friend request on a site. Therefore, I clicked on the link, accepted the friend, then started to make a couple of thematic changes. Then it got a little weird. I realized I was confusing my persona. Who was I? What information should I include?

What surprised me is, that experience has not happened sooner. The double life just started about two years ago when I began writing fiction.

Now the real question is, who am I for this blog? Am I the blogger, article writer, website owner that is a caregiver to my father, or am I the fiction writer who has her own life?

I changed the theme and look of this blog today, because I think Gail would like the softer look. Edie isn't that soft. In fact, at times she can be tough. She used to be a tomboy, you know. Gail is more girly and likes the softer colors.

Now that I know, kinda, who I am, I am going to give readers a couple of links which will give an insight into who Gail really is as a person. These are two of the sites she is involved in, although more may come to mind.

Romance Book Junction is a site that I haven't spent nearly enough time on, but I'm hoping that I can mingle more than I do now. There is a large group of romance readers and writers that are a part of this site, and I would like to get to know them.

Night Owl Romance is a fantastic site that readers and writers will find invaluable. I have written book reviews for NOR since September 2007, and have enjoyed every minute. I've met some very good writers, and read books I probably never would have read otherwise.

There you go - two sites that Gail is involved with and that you might want to take a look at. Gail will have more to say about what she has been involved with at a later date.

If you are living a double life, you are welcome to share your experience in the comment section.

No comments: